Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hey, I'm back!
So sorry it's been a while since I've posted. We've been packing and unpacking...working at music camp..and trying to get acclimated to our new appointment. It's a much bigger responsibility, but I know that God has a work here in Butler for us to do and we are excited to embark on such an adventure of faith and ministry.
But, with all the blessings...we have been smacked in the face with the current reality of officership. What do we deem important when it pertains to an appointment? Is it the size or beauty of the quarters? Is it the size of the corps? Is it the number of employees? My heart was broken during this process and I continue to seek God's direction on how to address my frustrations. I'm having an Elijah moment...thinking we're the only ones seeing it, some questions to ponder and discuss:
1. When did becoming an officer mean "arriving" to an untouchable status? When did this servant role become a force for power and domination? I struggle with conversations I've had recently about soldiers and employees being treated like slaves and insignificant players in the officers ultimate goal of complete control.Why have we lost Christ's instructions and example to be humble? I fear if this continues we will not be able to recapture our mission.
2. When did the house become more important than the corps? I guess growing up in a small apartment has given me an appreciation for the simple. Having a roof over my head, a vehicle to drive, and a place to minister are the basics I have seen provided to officers. Sadly, we have become too comfortable being accommodated. Neighborhood ministry is a whole other topic for another post, but has our priority become distorted? I don't know how many times we were asked with this move...is your home big, what kind of neighborhood is it, it may be smaller than your previous home...this was NOT on our minds. My response was that we were happy to have a roof over our heads for our family to live. Is this too difficult to understand?
3. How has ministry been discarded over personal ambition and desire for advancement? Should we be "strongly encouraged" to fit into a mold that someone else thinks we should be in? Should we forsake our gifts for the sake of not making waves? I would think the answer would be no, but sadly have witnessed the opposite being enforced. Why are we asking people to be anything different than God created us to be? Squeezing someone to fit the roles and "ideal" profile in order to be of any worth is discrediting God's workmanship. I fear we are spiraling out of control and need a wake up call. Can we instruct and advise without being domineering and manipulative?
Sorry if this sounds like ranting, but it's been 2 weeks of "in your face" frustration, misplaced priorities, and power struggles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Hit Counters