Thursday, June 21, 2007

God's Servant
I've been struggling with my personal understanding of Salvationism (I apologize at the beginning for the length of this post--want to get it all out). What does it mean to me to be a Salvationist? So many times we are given the "list" of a good Sallie. Here is one such definition (10 points if someone can tell me where this is from) "demonstration of loyalty to the Army and to its principles and disciplines; personal and official stewardship; application to duty; adherence to official policies, orders and regulations and doctrines; participation in Army programs; uniform wearing; willingness to sacrifice; attitude toward leadership and headquarters". Another definition "A Salvationist is a Christian called of God to fulfill through the community of the body His command to preach the gospel to all the Earth and to live a holy life in service to the creation He loves and desires to restore by a grace given in the truth of the gospel of the Word and the Gospel of service for the glory of Himself and the building of His kingdom through the redemption of the creation that bears His image through the righteousness of the Father, the obedience of the Son, and the power of the Holy Spirit who maintains said work by the communal and loving power of God enjoining the free will and submission of the one who calls him/herself a Salvationist." One is an official description of salvationism...the other is a comment from this site.
So as I look over my life growing up in the Army, I have found so many different takes and opinions about what makes a Salvationist a Salvationist. So, I needed to filter out the noise and find how God would describe a Salvationist. I think God would be very simple in His description..."My eyes, ears, hands, and feet reflecting Me to my creation" For each person and community our ministry 'morphs' but the motivation is still the same. God's nature never changes, but He is always doing new things (and doing even other things the same way)! In the same fashion, if we have the practical matters covered...the other things will fall into place.
Thinking of the walk of the Christian Faith as explained by the Wesleyan Quadrilateral (oh yeah, it's learning' time), I think I have found the answers that should have been so simple...but cluttered by the have-to's and should be's.
Revealed by Scripture (primary): When I think of my faith I must be grounded in the Word. God's instructions are clear to me throughout Scripture that what we "do" and are as Salvationists is what Jesus did. He reached out to the outcast, the broken, and hopeless. Social status, gender, ethnicity, educational background, or age did not matter to him. He saw a need....he filled a need, but never outside of God's plan and purpose for His life. Again, although the application in each situation was different, the motivation never changed.
Illuminated in Tradition: I come from a rich Army heritage. Our family 'fit' the mold of the Army. We did everything 'expected' and some...so as Paul says in the Word, "if anyone has any reason to boast, it would be me"...but he continues by saying it's all rubbish when seen through a godly perspective. Knowing why and how we came into being is important, but do we oftentimes quote the founders more than the Bible. I am not saying that the Booths were not godly people and did not speak words from the Lord...but they were human too. I think we have so much to learn about our spiritual heritage as the Army, but sadly we miss the struggle...the purpose because our Hebrews 11 cloud of witnesses are turned into our mascots and golden idols at times. Tradition to me...2 people were given a godly vision to which they were faithful and of which I can say I am a part so many years later.
Confirmed by Reason: As you can see I can think and dissect all day. If you know me, I can be passionate for a cause..but if it ultimately doesn't make sense...I'm out! Who can argue that the world is not in need of healing and restoration? Who can debate whether or not there is a need for God fearing men and women, boys and girls to bring the light of righteousness to the darkness? I cannot! Debateable issues to me are not a cross worth dying for...some things are really clear when following God's plan and Word...others seem silly. Do I care what shirt I can wear with pants? Not really. Do I care that there are a million different ways we can worship...and it can include the songbook? Yes, but I'm not going to debate the validity of one style over another. Read the word, know who you are in Christ, know where He's brought you from...where He has you now...and know He's leading you into the future.
Lived Out through Experience: I cannot ask of others what I am not willing to do myself. A mantra for my life and ministry...also one of a salvationist. All the questions, conclusions,and opinions I have must be backed up through my personal walk with the Lord as a Christian working through His power and direction in the vehicle of The Salvation Army. I count it a privilege to serve the Lord this way. I am humbled each time I have the opportunity to speak His Word, to share a meal with the homeless one day and the next have lunch with the CEO of a corporation. I find it mind boggling that I can be the instrument of God's grace and mercy to a hurting and broken world. This is what a Salvationist is to me: "Heart to God, Hand to Man". Sound familiar? Simple, but has branded itself into my heart and soul forever. This is why I write, I struggle, I fight, and I fall to my knees...to serve God by serving others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Hit Counters