Thursday, September 14, 2006

I MAY BE FLOGGED AND MOBBED FOR THIS...

Question, what is the exact moment we lose our vision for ministry and begin adapting the idea that I've been there done that...I've put in my time...I don't do that anymore, I've worked hard enough I shouldn't HAVE to do that? I get nauseous thinking about how many "seasoned" officers say this to me in conversation. We talk about Divisonal Youth Music Groups, Music Camp, Youth Ministry, and such...and I hear the same thing over and over again. I've worked long enough and put my time in...I shouldn't have to __________. Arghh! I know that not ALL experienced officers fall into this situation, but I just needed to know am I seeing something that isn't there? Am I going nuts because month after month my husband and I are called to do ministry (which we love to do, please don't think we are forced to do it) that takes us from our already time-restricted appointment just to see and hear this over and over again? Like we are the obvious go-to people because of our newness to the field. I want to be clear that we are being very cautious in our officership to NOT fall into that category...we want to be available for whoever, whenever, for whatever needs to be done. I know many seasoned officers who have gifts and talents that are being hidden under a rock or buried under ground (and not ashamed to admit it). Please feel free to comment (I am just so frustrated with this situation I needed to share it).

2 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Bret said...

These that you speak of are lazy . . . they’re not leaders and never will be. Mediocrity is their shame.

You and your husband are on the right track . . . you will never fall into their category because you are not like them. Just keep working hard and doing what God tells you to do . . . and pity (and pray for) those that have arrived.

Keep up the God work.

Blessings,

Bret

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Bret said...

I dont know how long you have been an officer, however, I am in my 9th year of service and I have seen many seasoned officers who feel that way because they are simply tired. Burnout in the Salvation Army is a subject that is mentioned often but hardly ever dealt with. People who say they have "put in their time" or "have been there and done that" are often saying "I'm tired and dont want to do that anymore" ....Unfortunately, it is not very acceptable to admit one is tired.. burnt out...over used...and under appreciated. When my husband and I were first commissioned and in our first appointment we worked 12-14 hour days..wanted to go to every divisional event...etc....Now, we have 3 young children and much larger appointment with greater administrative responsibility and often the Divisional events need to take second place to what is happening in our own city. Perspective changes as we age as well. I will always be on the forefront of ministry...but that may be different to me than it is to you or someone else. Try not to get frustrated with others...just enjoy doing what God has called you to do.

Susan
(Bret's wife)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Hit Counters