Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ministry vs. Career (what's your perspective)

I've heard many people refer to their role as an officer by many different names. Pastor (aren't we much more than that) or Administrator (may God forgive us) are 2 common descriptions of the calling we have received. I guess what it boils down to is this: What shape do you see your role as an Army officer taking? If we see it as a career move, we can get wrapped up into the notion that we've put our hours in...so leave me alone now. We can see it as a task oriented position that requires some customer service skills and a little public relations on the side. We can see our work as the way to promotion or a way up the Army ladder. OR do we see our role as the officer...a servant leader who leads by example? Someone who in one day will give a bag of food to one individual, counsel a woman who is being abused, lead a beginner band, administer corps finances, and be the speaker at a Rotary luncheon. Many hats? Yes.

I loved Phil's dad's comments our second year at the training school in the Leadership Class. Expectation #1: SHOW UP! We tend to hear the phrase "I can make my own hours..." but is that an excuse to drop the ball on our responsiblities? Don't just show up physically, but mentally, emotionally, and spiritually prepared for the ministry that lies ahead for that day. Get a good night's sleep, eat healthy meals, be read up and prayed up. So my question to you is, what shape is your role as an officer taking? Ministry or Career?

4 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Bret said...

Good post . . .

I, personally, don’t really care for titles (just another of my weird quirks). . . for me, it’s not about “moving up” . . . it’s all about the ministry.

But I feel like we (officers) are often treated as though it’s a career. I sometimes wonder if DHQ or THQ even gives a rip. I know they give the field lip service, but for the most part it stops there.

I’m in my third appointment (two 4 year appointments and we’ve been here for 1 year) and each appointment has been a “move up” . . . but the truth is, all I really want is to stay where I am. . . wherever that might be . . . and have the freedom to engage in whatever ministry method works in my community context. Usually, by the time I get all the “issues” worked out and get the church on a real growth path, the phone rings and I start over.

Presently we have 48 employees and church that is dead in the water . . . (it has been dead for yeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrrs . . . . .) But I believe that God has equipped my wife and I turn things around (this of course comes at a high price). When our leaders really don’t care about the price we pay to make a difference then we naturally become discouraged and apathetic. We get the “why bother” attitude.

So, all that to say that I see myself as a leader/pastor that carries an unrealistic administrative load. There’s a reason our church is dead . . . a lack of pastoral leadership and an emphasis on business.

Blessings,

Bret

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Kar Leong said...

I'm a Salvationist in Singapore. Being an officer here is not much of a career. It really means a big sacrifice. Coming from a competitive environment and a world of comfort, many young people are afraid to step up to the calling when it comes down to the consideration of how much they will get in terms of salary because the pay is REALLY low. Those with families would need to really consider cutting back on their provisions for their young ones.
Therefore, being an offcier here, you'd really need the heart of a servant

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Kar Leong said...

Being an officer here in Singapore is a really difficult decision. Living in a competitve and comfortable society, everyone views the route as an officer as a death to your career as the pay is really low.
With that, not many are bold enough to take that step to live a life where much sacrifice is needed and its much harder where consideration of family's provision comes into the picture

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger jsi said...

Hi Nicole its Jessie, and I've been following your blog for a while. Always a thought provoking, introspective place you come from. And your reading suggestions are very insightful and challenging.

So much more than a pastor, much more than an administrator or fundraiser or ethical barometer or integrity police -

A messenger of the Gospel.

All job descriptions and administerial hats fall under that umbrella of impact.

Nothing more.
Nothing less.

And some of us get to do it with the challenge of panty hose and the blessing of young children. How unfulfilling my life would seem if I couldn't be female, a mother, a sister, an aunt, a friend. Not because of mascara or shopping or frivilous conversation, but because of the intuitive, emotional connection I can feel with God and others.

"Show up" - you're right it sounds simple, straight forward, direct, but so many people cannot seem to do this. Show up emotionally; physically...very good guidance!

Good posting as always. Looking forward to more. Enjoy your day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Hit Counters