Friday, April 21, 2006

PART 6: MINISTRY STUMBLING BLOCKS

Ok, I really don't like to put people under this category...but I've faced one such individual this past week. I am a pretty strict individual (even when it comes to social ministry)--rules, rules, rules. I know that's why God put Philip (my husband) into my life...he's very compassionate and kind in these situations. I've felt convicted to develop the spirit of compassion for people (yes, it seems odd that I would enter into this ministry without it...I know). Anyway, I was coasting along this path when I hit the biggest stumbling block. A man came in for help one evening during programs...I was the only officer there, so I proceeded to offer assistance. To make a long story short, he stole a computer from the office while I was in another room making the arrangements for him! A week and a half later we have finally resolved this situation...following an arrest, a hearing, counseling, probation and restitution! So, here is my question...knowing the addictions and patterns of behavior gripping the people with which we come into contact daily, how can we serve without enabling? How do we instruct and guide without being parental?

1 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Bret said...

Great question. . . I have altering thoughts on this issue. . .one part of me says that would rather be scamed than turn away a legitimate need.

But at the same time I want to say "get over it!" Get off your butt and go to work! If you do not work you shall not eat!"

At some point, every parent will need to hand their four-year old the toilet paper and say, "wipe your own butt."

Not sure any of that helps. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Hit Counters