Monday, February 27, 2006

PART 2: THE GENERATION GAP

Ok, so I know it hasn't quite been a full week, but I need to get on the M-F schedule here. Know that you can post on the previous week's question, I check all the posts for new comments.

So, let's get to the question...This weekend I attended a forum for leadership in our division. Soldiery, leaders (current and potential), and officers where invited to participate in a discussion on the very things that I've come across in blogger-land. Anyway, there was one comment that made me wonder and wanted to get some more input from you. The comment was made by a young man, Do we minister to one generation well (young or old) or do we try to minister to a variety of ages in mediocrity? Considering the blogger-land understanding of the upcoming generation...how can we adequately serve/minister to one generation without excluding another? Is the generation gap impossible to bridge? If not, how do we do it? If so, what should be our approach to ministry/service?

4 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Bret said...

Hey Nicole,

“Do we minister to one generation well (young or old) or do we try to minister to do a variety of ages in mediocrity?”

It really depends on the corps and the capability of your leaders. A corps comprised mostly of ages 55 and over may have a difficult time connecting with a younger generation. I also think it is very difficult to minister to multiple generations in one service. There is no one-size-fits-all approach, especially in our culture.

Having multiple services/ministries is probably the best answer. For example, a service for youth on Friday or Sunday night, a traditional service geared to the older generation on Sunday morning, Home fellowship groups at different times during the week, all geared to a different audience, all providing opportunities for mission. The paths of each audience may not necessarily pass, but do they need to? I don’t think they do. The mission is the mission.

Great blog! Blessings,

Bret

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger anniebuck2 said...

It's official! I'm going to India this summer! My mom knows I've been accepted but I haven't told her where yet. I want to wait until after we handle the FAFSA. I did tell her about Spring Break...it didn't go over too great. But i'm still coming home for easter!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Tara Lamont said...

This is such a big question. I find that many times the simple "Take 5" messages I do for SS opening stick better for myself, the kids and the seniors than the more complex. I don't know. Is it really about age or is it about what /how we teach? More questions....
Tara

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger anniebuck2 said...

My mom knows that I was accepted but I haven't told her yet where I'm going. I'm probably going to do it this weekend after we go through my renewal FAFSA. Thanks for praying for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Hit Counters